Wednesday, December 7, 2011

#3 The War From Mars

Alright so it has been about three months since I last updated and I have no good excuses so I am going to step it up and do a much better job. I have not been totally useless; I have been adding videos to my Vimeo site so there are several videos that I have ready to go I have just been too lazy to actually get them put up on this site.
This video is a step back in time to several years ago from when I was in school in a guerrilla filmmaking class. This video is supposed to be three minutes long, we blew that out of the water and it runs longer than we initially planned. Also the video had to contain glass breaking so if you spot it and it looks a little awkward you will know why. Take a look….






On this film I worked in a group of about ten people and all were given different jobs, I unfortunately do not remember all of the talented people who were out there working so I will not mention any of them by name so as not to leave anyone out. A very talented gentleman and I came up with the story and he was tasked with scripting it. The director was very nice but was not very assertive so the film began to suffer from what I refer to as too many cooks in the kitchen syndrome, but in spite of this it turned out very well. My credited roles were to be in charge of lighting and to act as one of the two characters, (see if you can guess which one I am) and even though that is all I was credited with like most people in our group we all poured a lot of time into all aspects of production. The best part about this film is it was shot in Late November, we started about 10p.m. and did not finish till almost 4 p.m. and it was freezing. We spent the coldest parts of the night outside or in the small cellar that is featured in the last half of the film. We chose black and white so harsh lighting could be used to create deep shadows and create suspense and a sense of dread for our lead. There are a number of flaws in this video, reflections in windows, a light stand visible, but in spite of this and because of the harsh situation this is one of my all-time favorite videos to have been involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment